Friday, February 10, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Trust

It's Friday and that means time for "Five Minute Friday" where we write for five minutes on a topic from The Gypsy Mama, without any editing or rewriting allowed.  I put a little spin on it and relate it to board games, as well that's what this blog is all about.  Today's topic is trust.  So I've got my stopwatch out and I'm ready to on your mark, set, and go


Trust, it takes a lot of trust to play designer or hobby style board games.  We've all grown up with Monopoly and Life, that can be fun for a bit but seem to drag on without any real decision making.  But trust me, these board games are fun! Rolling, dice, moving colorful pieces, laying tiles, building a ship, or going on pirate attacks!  But trust is a hard thing.

If you don't know the rules in five minutes I'm not playing it.  Yes I can teach you a few games in five minutes and those can be fun games.  But trust yourself, once you start that game isn't that complicated, all you have to do on your turn is lay a tile, pick a card, or roll the dice.  Trust me and trust yourself! 

It's a hard first step for a lot of people.  I've been told to not bring any of those complicated games along,  but really I don't own that may complicated games so I don't understand.  Kids, they seem to trust me. It looks like fun, so sure I'll try it.   I saw some kids just playing a simple game in school this week and, wow were they having fun.  Why?  Was it that great of a game, no not really.  They were having fun because they they trusted themselves to have fun.  It was simple but they loved it.  It made me smile, to watch them enjoy themselves, make the other players play fair, and try to get to the end and win the game. 

Just trust me, you never know what you may discover about yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment