Saturday, February 18, 2012

Five Minute Friday (On a Saturday): Delight

It's Saturday, and I missed my taking five minutes Friday to write about The Gypsy Mama's  "Five Minute Friday" topic.  Each Friday, we write for five minutes on a topic without any editing or rewriting allowed.  I put a little spin on it and relate it to board games.  I know it is cheating a bit but I'll take the time today.   The topic is Delight.  So I've got my stopwatch out and I'm ready to on your mark, set, and go!

Anticipation, the brown box arrives and the tape is cut open to reveal the wonders hidden inside.  What new games do we have today?  Oh the delight when you open the boxes, punch out the chits, organize the pieces.  Simple pleasures.

The pieces, the wooden meeples, the acrylic penguins, the plastic figures bring delight as you hold them and move them.  Counting the cards, figuring out the organization in the box and on the shelves.  That self can hold just one more game, right?

Setting up a new game or an old friend on the kitchen table.  Family and friends gather around and the fun begins.  You can feel the delight the game brings to the room.  The smiles prove it.  Roll the dice, flip a tile, lay a card...oh the joy.

Turn off the television, a little music in the background is okay, but focus on the people around you.  Turn off you cellphone, leave the computer alone and enjoy the simple delight brought to you by a board game.

What about board games delight you?

No comments:

Post a Comment