Thursday, December 1, 2011

How it came to be...

I would like to begin with my back story on how I got into playing designer board games. I've always loved playing board games. We played Scrabble, Monopoly, Life and so on as a family. I have very fond memories of playing card games like War and Slap Jack at my Great Aunt Mary's house whenever we would visit. She had a special drawer where she kept the cards and it was always a fun time with family.

As a grown-up and after awhile of playing Life and Boggle my husband and I started looking for deeper games. We enjoyed playing Axis and Allies and were surprised to discover that there were other versions. We headed to the, now out of business, Nittany Lion Hobbies game store down town, and checked out the different versions. While there we looked around at all the strange board games with titles I've never heard seen. But they still enticed us. One game in particular called "Wings of War," really got my attention. While I'll cover this game at a later date, the part of the game that brought me in was the miniature, highly detailed bi-planes. These things are beautiful.


Around this time a good friend invited me over to play games with her husband and her. We played a game called Carcassonne. You picked a title and arranged it, much like a puzzle to form roads, cities, and fields. The best part of course were the little wooden "Meeples" you placed as your scoring tokens.


My husband started researching more games on the internet and discovered the best all be it vast and imposing website on board games: www.boardgamegeek.com.  There he found out about more games with deeper more engaging rules, some great podcasts that we enjoy listening to on car trips, awesome reviews and videos, and more.

Board Game Geek is a great website, but it is also not always easy for the new comer like myself to navigate or understand.  So I hope to do that here with this blog.  I plan as sharing info on game mechanics, great games for families, two players, and even some party games.  I hope you all enjoy this and get something out of it.  So thanks for reading.  Please leave any comments about what you may like me to cover and I will do my best to please.

No comments:

Post a Comment